GM Tarrytown Plant
Here’s the story when it closed in the 90’s
The plant was first built in 1903 – they built MAXWELL automobiles.
The plant was purchased by GM in 1916 and assigned to it’s CHEVROLET Division.
Tarrytown was linked to New York City by the New York Central & Hudson River Railroad in 1849.
In the past 50 years, the plant manufactured Chevy Impalas in the 50’s & 60’s. 1971 – 1977, lots of VEGAS rolled off the assembly line there which have all rusted into dust with their little aluminum engine blocks, the ultimate death of that car. Yes, the Lumina was the final vehicle manufactured in Tarrytown. Here’s a shot of the plant being torn down with a view of the railroad in 1999;
Something hard to believe now in looking at the wasteland along Metro North in Tarrytown is that in 1980, this…
View original post 129 more words